Today is "Ganesh Chaturthi" a Hindu Festival celebrated in Honor of Lord Ganesha all over India,But it is grandest and most elaborate in Maharashtra and Goa.In Goa it is called as "Chovoth" the festival runs for Several day,but minimum at least for 2 and half days.Its More Family Affair for and its very sentimental for Goans,Its generally celebration of joint families,some families of 100 or more members still celebrate the festival together with lot of joy in their ancestral homes.In our goan Catholics and Muslims take part in the festival with whole heartily.Kids enjoy the most During chovoth.
Along with worshiping of statue of Lord Ganesha its a festival in the kitchens as well,families prepare lot of different varieties of food mostly vegetarian,they prepare at least 5 types of vegetable along with sweets like Modak(sweet dumplings,neureo's(karanji),Godshe(kheer).
So today i thought lets Celebrate Ganesha Chaturthi in my Kitchen by makings Lord Ganesha's Favorite dish Modak,It was a first attempt but i was surprise to see it was close to perfection :)My Clive just loved it.
Total Preparation Time :40 Min
Cooking Time:20 min
1 Cup Grated Coconut
1/2 Cup Grated Jaggery
1 tsp Cardamom Powder
1/2 cup Almonds and Walnuts chopped
(Need to cook all the above ingredients in pan till liquid evaporates)
For Modak Dough
1 Cup Rice flour
1 Cup Water(use more if required)
2 Tsp Ghee
little salt for taste
- First Make the filling,for that keep the pan on stove, than add coconut and jaggery and cook for 5 min until jaggery melts ,than add cinnamon powder and almonds-walnuts chopped,mix all well and again cook for 2 min.
- once cooked keep aside to cool down.
- To make dough,keep water for boiling,than add salt .ghee and rice flour and cook by stirring continuously .once stopped stirring cover the lid and allow the flour to cook for a minute.
- Than knead the flour till smooth and soft, Make sure the dough is not hard nor watery.
- To Make Modak take roundels of dough and flatten it ,than in centre add the filling and cover the modak properly so filling doesn't come out.
- Make around 10 15 modak and than steam for about 15 min.
- Serve quickly.