Khaman Dhokla is common food in Gujarat a state in India.Its made from freshly ground chickpeas or chick pea flour.Generally eaten as a snack .Khaman dhokla is mostly served with chopped onions,sev,fried chilies and green chutney.Generally Khaman Dhokla takes 8-10 hours but this dhokla recipe is instant.
My first try was few months back but to my bad luck it din come the way it has to be soft and spongy but the second time it really came out good.I wont say its so perfect but it so neither bad ;)since it was soft and spongy i thought of uploading the recipe.
Preparation time :30 min
Cooking time : 20 min
1 Cup Chickpea flour
1 Table spoon Rava/semolina
11/2 Tsp lemon juice
1 Tsp crushed green chilies/ginger
3/4 Cup water
1/4 Cup Yogurt
1 Tsp ENO(fruit salt)
1 Tsp oil for greasing
1/2 Tsp salt
3 Green chilies slit lengthwise
2 Table spoon grated coconut
2 table spoon green coriander
1/2 Tsp Mustard seed
1 Tsp white sesame seeds
1 Tsp sugar
1 Pinch Hing/Asafeotita
1/3 cup water
- Take all ingredients to make a batter.Meanwhile keep around 2-3 water in steamer to boil.Also grease a pan with little oil and keep aside.
- In a large bowl add chickpea flour,semolina,salt,yogurt,lemon juice,green chili-ginger crushed and 3/4 cup of water and mix all into smooth batter.
- Last add the fruit salt(ENO)into the batter and stir for almost 1 min continuously,this will raise the batter to double.
- Than immediately pour the batter into the grease pan and place the pan in steamer for about 15-20 min.
- After 15 min check the dhokla if done by inserting a tooth pick or sharp knife, if comes out clean than its done or if not done then can keep for more 2-3 min.
- Once done allow it to cool down for few min.
- For tempering add oil in pan, once heated add mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida, sesame seeds, toss them well. Than add green chilies and fry them till brown. Than add 1/3 cup water and sugar ,let it cook for 1-2 min.
- Cut the dhokla into square cubes and spread the tempering over the dhokla , also garnish with coconut and green coriander.
- Serve as a morning or evening tea snack along with spicy green chutney or sev with onions chopped.