When i make fish curry its feast in my home because i enjoy rice more with fish curry then any other curry .We make fish curry by using different types of fish and each fish gives all together different taste to the same coconut curry.
Goan curry is mainly prepared by using coconut as its base along with some spices like red chilies,dry coriander seed ,cumin,tamarind and other few spices.I feel its also a healthy form of curries since there is no use of oil but yes there are few fish curries and gravies were we do make use of oil.The colour of the curries depends on the type of chilies used,in case of this fish curry recipe you will find the colour very pale because the chilies used are short chilies available in near by Store called as Guntur chilies mostly grown in Andhra Pradesh which has spice but no colour.
Total Preparation Time : 30 Min
Cooking Time : 15 -20 min
3 Mackerels cut into pieces
1/2 Coconut grated
4-5 Red chilies
5 pepper corns
1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Table spoon Dry coriander seeds
5 flakes of Garlic
1 onion sliced
1 Small ball of tamarind
1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
4-5 Triphal/sichuan pepper
Salt as per taste
Water as required
- Wash the cut mackerels well,then apply salt and little around 1/4 tsp turmeric and keep aside.
- Soak in water red chilies,tamarind,dry coriander seeds,cumin seeds,pepper corns for 5 min so its easy to grind well.
- Then in mixer jar add grated coconut,all the above soaked ingredients,1/4 tsp of turmeric,1/2 onion sliced,garlic and grind all into very fine paste.
- Add the paste to a mud pot if available or in normal vessel.
- Then add salt,sliced onion and bring the curry to a boil.
- Add mackerels,triphal and cook for around 10 min on medium flame.
- Serve Hot with Goan boiled rice or normal steamed rice.Enjoy