The word Biryani is derived from Persian language,one theory of word is arrived from brinj which means rice in Persian and other word is derived from biryani which means to fry or roast.
When we speak about ingredients the history explains that main commonly used rice is long grain rice that is basmati,but in some part of India zeera(cumin) rice is also used in cooking biryani.The other ingredients includes dry whole spices like cinnamon,cardamom,cloves,pepper corns,ginger-garlic,green chilies,green coriander,mint,The premium ingredients include saffron.For non-vegetarians biryani main ingredients that accomplishes spices is the meat,chicken and mutton. Biryani can be served with dahi chutney,raita or salad.
Boneless Chicken biryani is the Second Biryani recipe in my blog :).Biryani in the initial stage when i started to know what Biryani is and how the preparation goes about was a very difficult and complicated process to understand but when i look back i feel happy that my constant urge to reach perfection in cooking Biryani is fulfilled.So lets start.
Total Preparation time : over night or 2-3 hrs
Cooking time : 25-30 min
200 Gram Basmasti Rice(your choice)
500 Gram boneless chicken pieces
1 Cup of hung curd
For Green Masala(grind into fine paste)
1/2 bunch of fresh coriander
4 green chilies
2 Inch of ginger
10 flakes of garlic
Other ingredients required
Dry spices(Cinnamon,cardamom,cloves,pepper corns)
4-5 onions sliced
1 cup fresh coriander chopped
1 cup of mint leaves chopped
2 Tsp rose water
2 Tsp lemon juice
4-5 small cubes of butter or ghee
water for cooking
oil for cooking
- First step will be marination of chicken pieces along with curd ,salt and ground green masala at least for 2-3 hrs or for best result can do for overnight.
- Soak rice in water for 20 min,on the other hand keep a aluminium vessel or a deep pan on stove and add oil,once heated add onions and saute for about 1 min,than can add the dry spices mentioned above.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and fry well ,add water if required or cook chicken on Sim flame by covering with lid until cooked well and dry.
- On the other hand you can start frying onions sliced till golden brown.
- Once chicken preparation is done than boil water in big vessel and cook the soaked rice until cooked 1/2 ,drain the water out and keep aside.
- Than start the Dum process (layering of Rice and chicken).Remove 1/2 chicken from the pan and shift to a bowl ,remaining chicken in the vessel spread it evenly,than on top add fried onions,coriander chopped,mint chopped and little butter.Than spread 1/2 portion of rice over the chicken and again spread the garnishing along with rose water.Again spread the remaining chicken and on top of chicken add the last layer of rice and again spread the garnishing of fried onions,coriander-min,butter,lemon juice and rose water .
- Once layering's done add required water and cover the vessel with aluminium foil and cover with tight lid for about 25-30 min on slow flame.
- Once done cooking for 25-30 min do not open the foil quickly ,let it cool down for more 20 min.
- Serve with chilled Curd raita.